WOMENS ROCKET GLOVES
BLACK COWHIDE GLOVE LEATHER
- Womens traditional leather motorycle gloves
- Ladies Rocket zip gauntlet gloves with knuckle/palm patch
- Gauntlet wrist gusset and zipper
- Inserted wrist gore gusset for snug wrist fit
- Knuckle patches sewn over knuckles and down fingers
- Palm patch with built-in thumb patch protection
- Chrome hardware
- Specially tanned and prepared Glove cowhide
- Long leather zipper-pull
1985 - a Bad Year in many ways - brought us New Coke and the end of US 66....but here at Vanson we introduced our Rocket Gloves. These are elegantly old-school, with a long, integrated, zippered cuff and a one-piece hand, meaning the top and palm are continuous (instead of being sewn together), along the index-finger side. An extravagant construction - demanding large pieces of carefully prepared and matched leather for a perfect pair of gloves - but with the advantages of a greatly superior smooth round forefinger fit and a slim, fitted wrist.
We sew the palm-side finger seams on the inside, to protect the thread from abrasion in a crash, with the palm and thumb protected by an extra outer layer, as are the knuckles and lower joints of the fingers.
This construction makes Rocket Gloves easily repairable. In fact we have rebuilt some that are 30 years old....and are still going strong.
To build these gloves we start with 1.0 – 1.1 mm leather that has been specifically tanned for stretch. This full-weight glove cowhide is a classic leather, similar to the glove leather used in the '50s and '60s - very tough, very strong, yet able to break in and acquire a “memory” for a perfect fit. The day before we cut the gloves the leather is nourished with a special mix of oils, lanolin, waxes and water. Then we roll up the leather and cover it with plastic to allow the moisture to evenly permeate the fibers. When we are ready to cut, the leather is unrolled and stretched on a special toggle frame where it stays until it “sets.” Only then can we cut it, always palm-to-finger along the head-to-tail stretch set. Setting the stretch is imperative to allow the leather to give or “let out” across the knuckles when you make a fist. After sewing, the gloves are shaped on heated finger forms before the final waxing and buffing.
Because of the double layers of leather over the palms and across the knuckles you will have to break these gloves in. You will stretch and shape them by wearing, but we suggest that later you moisturize with Vanson-Leather-Balm (AC-BALM) preceded by a little water while you work them with your hands to get the perfect fit. In this way your gloves will truly become a second skin.
Once broken in you should care for these elegant hand-built gloves by conditioning them in the same way several times a year, depending on how much you ride, to replace the nourishment leached out by wind and sunlight. With proper, regular care these gloves should last for many miles and many years.
Vanson Rocket Gloves are available in both men's and women's sizes.
- ........................GLOVES FOR WOMEN...................................
- Wrap tape over the widest part of the knuckle - make a fist and note this
- measurement. Measure your dominant hand.
- Size Medium (3M) measures 10 inches from tip of middle finger to cuff edge.
- Cuff zipper length is 3 1/2 inches.
- Glove dimensions given are approximate as gloves stretch during manufacture
- and use.